On This Day, 26-AUG 2012 We Honor a Fallen Hero
Jared Marcus Schmitz was born on 25-FEB 2001 in St. Charles. His mother is Sue Livingston Schmitz, and his father is Mark Joseph Schmitz. At an early age, Jared moved to St. Louis living full time with his mother in Tower Grove South. After completing 8th grade, Jared moved to O’Fallon Missouri, attending Fort Zumwalt South High School, graduating in 2019.
Jared thought about becoming a Marine at a very early age. He decided on the Marines early in high school and opted for a delayed entry program at age 17. His father Mark Schmitz said. “Once he made up his mind, he made himself a regular at the Marine office in St. Peters and began training religiously with recruits even though he wasn’t yet enlisted.”
Jared began the 13-week Marine Corps Recruit Training at Marine Corp Recruit Depot San Diego on July 8; completed the Crucible and received his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor medal on September 20, and finally graduated on October 5, followed by School of Infantry West on 18-DEC 2019.
Jared was killed in a suicide bombing during the evacuation of Americans in Afghanistan. This was his first deployment. Jared had only been in Afghanistan for two weeks.
The attack outside the Hamid Karzai International Airport Kabul, Afghanistan, killed 13 U.S. service members supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel. There were 11 Marines, 1 Navy Corpsman and 1 Army soldier killed as the result of an enemy attack while supporting non-combatant evacuation operations.
The soldiers killed in the attack were:
- Lance Cpl. Jared M. Schmitz, 20, of Wentzville, Missouri.
- Sgt. Johanny Rosario Pichardo, 25, of Lawrence, Massachusetts.
- Sgt. Nicole L. Gee, 23, of Sacramento, California.
- Staff Sgt. Darin T. Hoover, 31, of Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Cpl. Hunter Lopez, 22, of Indio, California, a rifleman.
- Cpl. Daegan W. Page, 23, of Omaha, Nebraska.
- Cpl. Humberto A. Sanchez, 22, of Logansport, Indiana.
- Lance Cpl. David L. Espinoza, 20, of Rio Bravo, Texas.
- Lance Cpl. Rylee J. McCollum 20, of Jackson, Wyoming.
- Lance Cpl. Dylan R. Merola, 20, of Rancho Cucamonga, California.
- Lance Cpl. Kareem M. Nikoui, 20, of Norco, California.
- Navy Corpsman Maxton W. Soviak, 22, of Berlin Heights, Ohio.
- Army Staff Sgt. Ryan C. Knauss, 23, of Corryton, Tennessee.
“No one is ever gone as long as someone still has memories of them.”
Jared is honored and remembered at the St. Charles County Veterans Museum.